Debra L. Bruce, JD, PCC.
Clients get confused sometimes and we are all aware of how that can lead to misunderstandings. However, many of their misconceptions are quite humorous and I have compiled several of these for today’s post. Hopefully this will offer you a little break from your daily grind while you read some of their “ideas” about their cases. If you are a new lawyer, perhaps this information can help you head off some misunderstandings in the future.
First, some misconceptions about domestic relations matters:
1. I don’t need to negotiate with my spouse. The Domestic Relations Court will resolve my case and my problems.
2. Joint custody or shared parenting automatically means we will split time with the children on a 50/50 basis.
3. Since the divorce wasn’t my idea, I shouldn’t have to endure changes to my lifestyle, like selling the house, getting a job or experiencing a lower standard of living.
4. Wives don’t have to pay spousal support to husbands.
5. The divorce won’t happen if I refuse to sign any papers. Read more «Humorous Client Misconceptions»